What is the difference between traditional classroom education and homeschool programs? Are homeschool programs, diploma or certification courses recognized?
Characteristics of traditional classroom courses are:-
- When attending classroom educational courses and programs, you will have the peace of mind that you are actually attending a traditional teaching course although it is just psychological.
- You are able to interact and ask questions with your course instructors and teachers.
- You will have classmates to discuss issues pertaining to your lessons.
The downsides of classroom educational courses are:-
- Classroom courses are much more expensive than online courses because to conduct the courses, the institution you are attending have much higher over costs such as offering its facilities and staff maintaining them.
- There is also traveling time to be taken into consideration which is unproductive time loss.
- Classroom educational courses limit the amount of exploratory learning that can be had, which improves learning and retention.
Characteristics of online educational courses are:-
- You have the comfort of studying and taking exams from home. Certainly very beneficial for busy people.
- You save money because online educational courses are much less expensive. This in turn can give you an opportunity to take up a course which you may not be able to afford if the course is offered only on attending classroom lessons.
- You will be able to enroll for courses not available near where you live. That is online educational courses are also know as long distance learning.
- You have the liberty to decide when to take online examinations since exams can be taken as and when you are ready. However, there is a risk that you may not take the exam because there is no pressure to do so.
- You save traveling time from having to travel to classrooms for lessons.
The downsides of being homeschooled are:-
The perception that homeschool options are inferior, although many top educational institutions like Vanderbilt University have a homeschool recruiting department.
Another false perspective is that homeschool examinations can be tough to proxy, though technology has provided gains in this area. In addition, most local education authorities provide, and even require, grade level testing at no charge.
Deciding on homeschool is much more sensible for the modern student and parent. Many people doubt the effectiveness of the homeschool because of the mindset that traditional courses are better. This mindset was created when we were young and attending schools was the way we were brought up. Today, many educational lessons are now conducted online because of advance technologies which were then unavailable.
Critics cited that homeschooled students had no teachers to guide them. In the state of Tennessee and at least 38 other states, homeschool assessments follow the same standards as public school. In addition, homeschool students score as much as 30% higher on assessments as public school students, according to Brighthub Education.
Why should there be a need for someone to guide you? With tutors, discipline, and a professional academic program, any parent with a high school diploma can effectively homeschool their child. Most of the time, parents can email their private teachers or tutor should their be any questions. Therefore, the critic’s argument is only for psychological peace of mind.
However, parents must be prudent in choosing homeschool programs, tutors, and educational consultants. This is because since many people have the perception that homeschool is inferior, then choosing reputable educators and institutions will help to dispel such discrimination.
What are your thoughts? Let’s start a civil conversation.
Natisha Brooks, Chancellor
Chris Callaway, Dean of Student Affairs